The Aggregation Cache stores the calculated results of specified Aggregation Matrices. Values already calculated can be retrieved from the cache quickly without the need to recalculate each time the Matrix is accessed. Because of this, Aggregation caching improves performance.
Cached results have a lifespan ranging from hourly to indefinitely which is set manually. This decision should depend on the likelihood of the results changing, and the possibility and danger of using outdated values from the cache.
How to Cache an Aggregation Matrix
- Open the Aggregation Matrix you want to cache
- Ensure you are on the Home tab in the ribbon
- Click on the Caching dropdown in the caching section
- Choose how often you would like the Aggregation Matrix to be cached.
- This decision should depend on the likelihood of the results changing, and the possibility and danger of using outdated values from the cache.
Manage Aggregation Cache Synchronizer
This synchronizer manages the cache of aggregation results. You can create a Manage Aggregation Cache synchronizer to do any of the following cache management tasks:
- Delete all cached values in the repository
- Delete cached values not used within a certain timeframe e.g. the last month
- Delete cached values for specific matrices – This should be done when you know that the cached values are incorrect or no longer required. For example, if you have run an Excel Import Synchronizer that affects the values used in a cached Aggregation Matrix, you might want to delete the cache and then repopulate it.
- Populate the cache for a matrix – This can be done for all variable permutations or for selected variables.
If the Aggregation Matrix cache is set to Off, then the Manage Aggregation Cache Synchronizer will not be able to override this. Instead the synchronizer will fail for that Aggregation Matrix and report that it is not cached.
Caching is demonstrated in the short video clip below: