Step by Step Guide
In order to use Lift and Shift you need a new tenant setting up. Please contact support to do this. You will be sent some credentials for use on Filezilla once this has been set up. Once you have some credentials please make sure they are shared in the appropriate place for other people’s usage.
NB: **Make sure passwords are updated in these shared spaces as you go along.
- Go to Filezilla and log in
- Add a site in the site manager
**select SFTP from the ‘protocol’ and put in your username and password which have been provided
3. Click on ‘Connect’
**Here, you will see a plain data folder. This should already be set up in the system. This is set up by support. If you have any issues or it doesn’t appear, please speak to support.
This is where you drop off the data
In the data folder, there are 3 folders which are set up. This is where you will drop the data. These folders include the following:
- failed: anything that has gone wrong
- successful: anything that is successful/has worked
- templates: CSVs with headers which you can use as templates for data
NB: **The templates need to match the landscape for the data upload to work. If you are completing a ‘find and replace’ process on your data, do not replace the headings as part of this process.
4. Once you are happy with your data and it is in the file/correct format, you will need to zip the data folder. To do this, select all the CSVs, right click and ‘send to’ then ‘compressed folder’
You now have a zip file which you can right click and upload.
When you right click and press upload, this will upload the data to the server (where the remote file structure is).
5. Upload your data
6. Refresh Filezilla by right-clicking in the area where the data files are
NB: **The file will disappear when you refresh. This means that the data upload has worked. Do not upload the data again
Things to Note
#LS-Notifications is a new Slack channel which has been made available in order to get updates/more info on the uploads e.g. if they have failed or completed (not necessarily without fails in the upload). This channel and how it works will change or evolve over time in order to give more data and information on who’s upload is working and why.
7. Once your data has been uploaded, a message will come through into the LS-Notifications channel, meaning that the data has been successfully been written to Neo. Sometimes, when it says lift and shift has been completed, it doesn’t mean all the files have been successfully uploaded.
To check which parts have failed or not if your upload is said to be completed, you can check in the failed or successful folders to see if some parts of the upload appear in both folders or just one folder. If some parts appear in the failed folder, the upload has failed. If you see nothing in the failed folder, the data upload has been completed successfully. This notification process is to be edited/tweaked in the future.
NB: **If any part of the data has failed, you will have to re-submit the whole data set.
**Even if your data has been uploaded successfully to Neo, it may take a while for caches to be refreshed/synchronised.
- Potential Errors to Point Out/Checks to Make During the Upload
- Please ensure you check the case sensitivity of your data. Headings are also case sensitive
- Please check your data types are correctly matched in Designer e.g. currency and enums
- Date format supports a set of formats. These include:
- All data except the IDs can be blank, it will just show as nothing in Edge (not as null). **This is to be updated at some point to show ‘Null’ rather than completely blank
- Column order doesn’t matter as long as it matches and is in the file
- If your CSV is more than 1GB, there may be issues with your data upload at the moment
Failed Zip File Logs
In the failed zip file, a log will be collated which explains which part has failed (e.g. ‘ERROR’). The line numbers in the log reference the line in the failed file in the zip folder, not the lines in the data prior to its upload to Filezilla.
Common Error Messages (in the failed zip file)
- “Unable to retrieve field value” – This is the value for ‘field’ where the error is occurring
“Unable to retrieve the value for field 'LA_IDA_LandingZones_ID'`
- “Is not a valid value” – the data is invalid
“`Line 1: XL is not a valid value for 'LA_MAC_LandingZones_MachineSize'.`”