Reasons to Upgrade
MooD Version 16 Build 57 is the latest evolution of the MooD software platform. It contains 26 exciting feature improvements alongside more than 130
This release contains five headline features. Each of these adds a new capability to the MooD platform, enabling an improved way of working, as well as providing a modern working environment.
Pictures in Formatted Text Fields
A picture is worth a thousand words, and formatted text fields in MooD can now be configured to
hold a rich mixture of text and images. This feature provides the end user the ability to create,
maintain and display a more informative set of content both from MooD Business Architect and
MooD Active Enterprise.
Images can be uploaded to and will display consistently throughout the product, in any location which formatted text fields can be visualised.
Import from Visio
Much of the content that MooD repositories contain often begins life in the Microsoft® Office suite. From build 57, we have added the ability to import model content from Visio documents. Each Visio stencil type can be configured to create or map to existing MooD elements, with relationships within Visio Diagrams creating MooD relationships.
The Import mechanism adopts a bi-modal user interface, with a simple form-based configuration screen providing basic functionality, with a fully-featured advanced mapping screen available to enable features such as field modifiers.
When using Synchronisation to populate MooD repository content, the majority of effort is contained within the creation of mappings from source material to target location. The Auto-Mapping feature of Synchronisation provides an initial mapping of source content to target location, reducing initial configuration effort.
Three new Smart layout options enable the user to rapidly layout a set of related elements on MooD diagrams. The Hierarchical and Circular layout tools automatically reposition the selected elements and links for optimal clarity by minimising line crossings. The stretch layout enables rapid scaling of the space between selected elements. Used in conjunction they greatly reduce the input required to generate a readable diagram from a selection of related elements.
Uplift to Office 2016 Look and Feel
The user interface of MooD 2016 Build 57 has been given an uplift to match Office 2016 visual appearance.
This uplift provides a familiar environment for users, reducing the barrier to entry. A de-cluttered interface with refreshed imagery providing common cues for the user
A set of improvements have been made to the MooD Business Architect environment aimed at making it easier to use the product, with a focus on increased consistency and a reduction in the more commonly expressed frustrations within the current product.
- Business Architect now supports high DPI environments, working at scaling other than 100%, meaning better support for modern workstations
- A range of improvements to the consistency of MooD enterprise have been made, including consistent behaviour when renaming items across the entire product, and the addition of a “No Shadow” option in format style ribbon menu.
- It is possible to quickly count the number of child elements from the Details > General page, and prior to expanding a long list of elements in the Explorer bar, an information message will now be displayed
- Improved functionality of closing tabs within Business Architect, giving the user a more meaningful and useful set of options.
Matrices and Queries
- Sub-columns in matrices can now be re-parented, reducing the need to delete and re-create content.
- Variant / Variant Original now able to be used in Aggregation levels
- An additional Query construct to find elements with/without Models has been added.
- The “Select” window now includes the ability to select action panels, reducing time taken to select multiple action panels when applying large scale changes to models.
- The Formatted Text Editor Web component has been upgraded, providing an improved user experience.
- The Single Element picker “Search Focus” colour is now configurable
Exports: Model Driven Documents and PowerPoint
- Improved footnotes, custom text and Improved Tables styles for matrices in Document Exoport enables the user to create a richer and more professional set of exported content from the repository.
- It is now possible to export to .dotx and .pptx files in exports, making it easier to share content in current formats.
- Macro enabled Microsoft Word documents can now be used as templates for Document
A set of improvements have been made to the ArchiMate import/export mechanism introduced in Build 45. This functionality makes it possible to exchange models with other ArchiMate tools whilst retaining look and feel of views.
- Basic ArchiMate Views: Labels, Lines & Bends can now be imported
- Basic ArchiMate Views: Line Bends can now be exported
- Text boxes and Annotation Lines can now be exported ArchiMate exchange format
Synchronisation and Integration
- The Repository's Database" SQL Connection Consistently Available, reducing the need to manually create the connection.
- Synchronisation group have an execution history, making it possible to identify and report
on the history of synchronisation groups across a repository, rather than at an individual
- Improved visibility of Synchronisation execution time making it easier to identify non-performant
synchronisers as part of repository performance tuning.
- Time Spent in MooD integrator is now visible.
Within each MooD release, a number of performance enhancements are added to reduce time taken for the most common tasks. This release sees performance improvements in the areas of
- Single/Multiple Element picker controls
- Synchronisation imports
Encryption, Security and Data Integrity
MooD maintains a rolling programme of security and encryption enhancements to ensure that a modern and secure product is available. During this release, improvements to the following have been made:
- Warning given when upgrading a Repository with an incorrect collation reducing probability of database corruption.
- Repositories failing to upgrade or are in the process of upgrading can no longer be opened,
reducing the potential of database corruption.
- Upgrade of the internal ASPOSE component to a modern version.
- Improvements to internal encryption standards to align to with AES-256.