How to Add a Spreadsheet Using the Wizard
- Double click on an Excel Import Synchronizer to open the Mapping
- Double click ‘Add Data from Excel’ in the Source section of the Add tab in Design. Alternatively, drag it into the Source area.
- Type in or click ‘Browse’ to select the Excel file you want to use.
- Click ‘OK’. This will open the Microsoft Excel Synchronization Activator wizard.
- Select the layout which matches your spreadsheet and click ‘Next’.
- Select the range of data to be imported.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Alter and confirm the Data Types for each column.
- Click ‘Finish’.
Adding the data will create a table of the spreadsheet in the Source area of the Mapping tab. This is what will be used to map the source data to the targets.
The short video clip below demonstrates how to add a spreadsheet:
This is the second page of the Microsoft Excel Synchronization Activator wizard.
The data range is the area of data you want to import. This is usually a row of column headings, but can include more than one header row. By default, the wizard will try and scan for a range. If the spreadsheet starts with a row of recognizable column headings the wizard will scan it and report on its success.
The Simple layout requires a contiguous range of columns. If you want to select non-contiguous ranges, you should use the Denormalized layout. However, you can select a contiguous range in the Simple layout, and then only map the fields you require. E.g, the first and the third. You don’t have to map all the fields in the table.
How to Manually Select a Data Range
- Navigate to the Select a Data Range page in the Synchronization wizard
- Select a contiguous range of data
- Click and drag to select a range or,
- Click and press Shift on the keyboard, then click on a second item
This method allows you to restrict both the columns and the rows.
The video clip below demonstrates how to manually select a data range:
This is the last page of the Microsoft Excel Synchronization Activator wizard.
Each column heading of the spreadsheet in the selected range becomes a data type. These data types become the fields on the table in the source area. This stage lets you change some of the assumptions made by the wizard. However, in most cases these assumptions will be correct.
How to Change the Confirm Data Type Options
- Navigate to the Confirm Data Type in the Microsoft Excel Synchronization Activator
- Click ‘Start Scan’ to allow MooD to determine appropriate default data types
- Change the default settings by clicking options in the dropdown menu, radio buttons, and tick lists
- If an error is reported then the Status column will indicate this. There are a couple of ways to deal with this:
- Hover over the icon for a summary
- Click the icon to open the Information dialogue box. You can potentially deal with the error here
- Click ‘Finish’
The short video clip below demonstrates how to change the Confirm Data Type Options: