Queries are used to select the content you need from a Business Landscape. They return a filtered list of Elements, Relationships, and Events which match a set of search criteria defined in the Query.
Throughout MooD, Queries can be recognised by the Query icon, .
The Query Builder is used to build up the structure of your Query as a set of blocks that define the search criteria. It is opened from the Queries tab when you create a new Query or open an existing one.
It has several features:
- Text entry boxes for renaming and summarising the Query's purpose
- A Starting Block for configuring the starting elements of a Query
- Several Find Block tabs for finding different Elements from the previous blocks
- Where button for adding Where expressions
- Test and Count buttons for testing as you create and build the Query
Uses of Queries
Queries are useful for creating rich and powerful repositories, allowing users to fulfill their business modelling needs. Uses of Queries include:
- As an input to a Matrix
- To define the content of an Info Panel, Action Panel, or Graph Panel
- To support Business Integration Activators
- To return a list of measures
- To define Aggregation Activators for gathering data to populate Elements fields
- Queries can be nested, whereby an existing query is used to define the search conditions for the main Query
- Joined to another Query
- Finding content to include in a report (Model Driven Documents)
- Populating menus