There are five different types of fact:
Simple - A calculation that produces a numeric or date result based on a fact. There are five simple fact types all accessed by clicking "SUM" and selecting from the dropdown.
• SUM adds all of the values within each dimensional grouping. It uses the basic arithmetic operators +, -, *, and /, to build an expression as well as parenthesis, (), to enforce precedence.
• MIN returns the smallest value in the Fact results and allows string concatenation
• MAX returns the largest value in the Fact results and allows string concatenation
• AVG returns the arithmetic mean (average) of the values in the expressions results
• COUNT returns the number of source elements in the expression (as grouped by the Smart Column's levels)
Embedded - Incorporates simple Facts within a larger expression and gives the result. E.g. multiply the result of a SUM by the result of a COUNT. Each simple fact component should be built within the Embedded fact itself.
Threshold - Compares the result of a simple expression against a Threshold, and returns the corresponding Pick state
Free Form Threshold - Similar to the Threshold Fact type but allows you to define your own thresholds using a picklist.
Aggregated Pick State - Return the min or max Pick List state for a Pick List. Can be used to show the extreme cases to be found within a group of elements. min and max values are determined by the order of states within it i.e. top Pick List value is min and bottom is the last.
For a more detailed explanation on Facts and the Fact Builder see Aggregation - Facts.